It never fails here in Michigan we always get one day in the spring once we get yourself a torrential down pour. It seems like that is always the day the ability goes out and the sump pump fails. Water restoration is a large part of restoration services provided by companies. Many homeowners think that they’ll clean it down themselves without considering how the dampness will affect the area. What lots of people don’t understand is that water can stay and create mildew and mold. Despite it feels dry to the touch areas can be damp. When not thoroughly dried through water restoration techniques damage can occur.
If your property or business is afflicted with water damage the best first step is always to call your insurance company and have a water restoration company come out and measure the damage. Below are a few tips to help you as a homeowner to greatly help in the restoration of your home. service cleaning
DO’S and DON’TS
1) The first step is always to dehumidify the area. Provided that the area is no further submerged in water and has been cleared to be safe by an electrician you may start running dehumidifiers.
2) Open up the house and have fans circulating the dry air.
3) It is important to take in as much water as you can. Make use of a mop or old towels to sop up as much water as you can. Blotting carpet is also a powerful way to eliminate large quantities of water.
4) All furniture pieces ought to be dried off. Wood and fabric both ought to be thoroughly dried. Items such as cushions and knick knacks removed and safely stored until a professional has checked the furniture to ensure it’s thoroughly dried. Remember the touch test does not work. Often furniture will feel dry to the touch because the outer lining is dry. This does not mean the inner parts are completely dry.
5) Wood blocks should be made that’ll be used to prop up furniture although it is drying. In the event that you wrap the blocks in aluminum foil this prevents staining on carpet.
6) All floor coverings that are loose ought to be removed taken fully to a professional to be cleaned and dried. Bacteria will see a number in these areas and ought to be cleaned properly to stop any bacteria from the flood water to cultivate and reproduce in your rugs.
7) All drapery ought to be lifted from the floor. If it has become wet it is better to take it down and allow a professional to wash them.
8) All furniture, cupboards and drawers that can be opened should be. It is important to let those areas thoroughly dry out by eliminating all of the contents and letting them air out.
9) Books can be dried up by laying them out open and ensuring the air is circulating in the region that they are drying in.
10) It is important not to utilize a normal household vacuum to eliminate the water. You’ll ruin your unit. It is better to leave the water extraction to the professionals. If you want to eliminate a tiny little bit of standing water and it cannot be done with a mop or towel and wet/dry shop vacuum is the better tool for the job.
11) Electrical units shouldn’t be plugged in any area that is still wet or that’s standing water.
12) Leave carpet that is tacked down in place. Professionals have equipment that will clean and dry your carpet thoroughly.
Damage can occur through water and bacteria settling directly into your household items. Don’t wait to call water restoration professionals in to your home to start working on getting your property restored and functioning normal. Bacteria starts forming within a few minutes so it’s crucial that you call your insurance company and keep these things send someone out immediately to get your home dry. Water restoration professionals can ensure bacteria, mildew and mold do not grow and fester.